Friday, October 7, 2011

Special Thanks, Current Deck Profile, Local Tournament



I'd like to start off by giving a special thanks to DragonDuelistGirl who recently mentioned my blog in one of her videos. Many of you probably became aware of my blog thanks to her kindly listening to my request for a shout out on her youtube channel. She has a lot of great art videos and Yu-gi-oh deck lists and insights on the game, which has escalated her to nearly 6,400 subcribers on youtube. Any of you who have not yet seen her stuff, you can check out her YouTube channel here.

I'd also like to thank everyone who has clicked on my blog, and gone even further and commented, thank you for your interest in my blog and I hope I will not disappoint!

Current Deck Profile

This weekend I am going to my second tournament since returning to the game. My first tournament was just about three weeks ago, and I was using a very early version of an Agent deck which was lacking many key cards. It ended with me with a 3-2 record, and very disappointed. Three weeks later, I have made several trips to eBay I have a more complete agent deck and am looking to perform to a much higher standard.

Main Deck

Monsters
1 Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning
2 Archlord Kristya
3 Master Hyperion
1 Gorz, Emissary of Darkness
3 The Agent of Creation - Venus
3 T.G. Warwolf
1 Honest
3 The Agent of Mystery - Earth
1 Sangan
2 T.G. Striker
3 Mystical Shine Ball
1 Herald of Orange Light

Spells
1 Monster Reborn
1 Dark Hole
1 Heavy Storm
1 Mind Control
1 Book of Moon
1 Smashing Ground
2 Mystical Space Typhoon
2 Pot of Duality

Traps
1 Solemn Judgment
1 Torrential Tribute
1 Mirror Force
1 Dimensional Prison
2 Bottomless Trap Hole


The main deck is a fairly standard TG Agent build. I originally had a few more monsters, but I decided that I wanted to add some more spell and trap support. I feel one major disadvantage of this deck is the ramp up time-- sure, you have easy access to Archlord Kristya and Master Hyperion, but if your opponent plays their cards right, they can make it so those cards never see play. Your level 4 and lower monsters in this deck can't really compete with things like Thunder King Rai-Oh and Elemental HERO Neos Alius unless you pull off some nice shine ball shenanigans.

In order to help correct this, I added a single copy of Smashing Ground and Dimensional Prison to try and combat and eliminate early level threats. Normally I would leave these cards in the side deck, but after some consideration, I felt main decking them will give me more consistency.

Extra Deck
1 Ally of Justice Decisive Armor
1 Mist Wurm
1 Colossal Fighter
1 Stardust Dragon
1 Lightning Warrior
1 Black Rose Dragon
1 Ancient Sacred Wyvern
1 Gaia Knight, The Force of Earth
1 Magical Android
1 T.G. Power Gladiator
1 Ally of Justice Catastor
1 Armory Arm
1 Number 17: Leviathan Dragon
2 Gachi Gachi: Gantetsu

This extra deck is unfortunately limited by my funds. I have a few questionable choices like Mist Wurm, Lightning Warrior, and T.G. Power Gladiator, which are simply place holders for more expensive and powerful cards like Trishula, Dragon of the Ice Barrier, Scrap Dragon, and Brionac, Dragon of the Ice Barrier. For the most part I feel that Exceeding is more valuable for this deck than Synchroing. Gachi Gachi Gantetsu wins games, as will Wind-Up Zenmaines when it is released in the next expansion. T.G. monsters are probably the quickest way to help bring these out, giving a great back up strategy to this deck when Hyperion and Kristya are not options.

Side Deck
2 The Agent of Miracles - Jupiter
2 Genex Ally Birdman
2 Herald of Orange Light
1 Smashing Ground
1 Mystical Space Typhoon
1 Dust Tornado
1 Trap Dustshoot
1 Starlight Road
2 Rivalry of Warlords
2 Chain Disappearance

I feel my side deck is fairly balanced. I included The Agent of Miracles - Jupiter in my deck to counter act decks using high powered low level creatures like Light Beat. His ability to jump up to a 2600 attacker and be searchable by Earth is amazing. To combat T-King I have also created an alternate set to switch out of the T.G. strategy which is totally negated by T King in favor of using Genex Ally Birdman to help quick synchro big monsters with Venus. Outside of that, the choices are fairly standard, Rivalry of Warlords against plant synchros, Chain Disappearance against mirror matches, Dust Tornado and Mystical Space Typhoon to combat fields and Skill Drains. I feel its fairly balanced.

Local Tournament
As a final note, I'd like to invite anyone who is in the Chicago land area and has not been made aware of this place, Sports and Gaming Cards a small store in Golf Mill mall. It's a small place but they have a pretty good selection and the owner is a pretty nice guy. The tournament starts at 11AM for children 13 and younger and 3PM Central time for anyone 14 and older. Come check it out!

I'll make sure to post a tournament report tomorrow or Sunday, any suggestions for deck edits before then would be appreciated! Feel free to post your own decks in the comments below and I'll try to put my thoughts on them before your own local tournaments this weekend!

5 comments:

  1. Nice evaluation. I like that you can see both the good and the bad in the deck you're using. I think that by being aware of potential weaknesses, you're prepared to compensate for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm...I have seen various Agent decks and would say that you are on the right track. However, 1 question, why only 1 Herald of Orange Light? In this "mass effect" format, having 2 or more is absolutely mandatory if you want to stop your opponent's plays.

    Overall, I like this deck as I can see that it will be very stable and consistent. The only other problem I see with this deck is the lack of warning. I am not saying that BTH is bad but warning is just too good this format. Blast away your opponent's unwanted summons. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Anonymous
    Thanks for the comment! I hope my evaluation is as good as my play tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must say that your deck seems great especially considering he fact thats its still under a budget. I do wish to ask whats with the 2x t.g. striker and 3 of the rest? i dont play agents let alone this variant. Good luck to you in your second tourny, I hope you top! Im also blogging and will have a tourny report tommorow with a budget deck myself http://thecasualduelist.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Bong
    I was running 2 Herald of Orange Light, as well as 3 at one point, the demands on my hand size became too much, so one feels like a great silver bullet. I wont be tempted to pop it whenever I can knowing that I have extras in my deck, it'll be a one time get out of jail free. As far as Warning, I'm going to try to play both Warning and Bottomless when the tins come out, I plan on hating on lots of summons

    @silverfang612
    TG Striker is a great tuner, I used 3 originally but in the end 2 was plenty. It helps search out Warwolf which is a dark for BLS. Both Wolf and striker have easy special summoning conditions, so each of them can combo with Venus and Shineball one way or another.

    Good luck with your tourney as well!

    ReplyDelete